Welcoming a pet into your home is not a decision to be taken lightly. Wherever possible, it should be a commitment for the lifetime of that pet. So, in readiness for their arrival and moving forward as you care for them it’s important to get all the basics right. That’s why our Top 10 Tips for Responsible Pet Ownership are a huge part of our mission to encourage great pet care across the UK.
Whether you’re reading these Top 10 Tips for the first time or the hundredth, please take in the key messages of each one and, if you’re already a pet owner, check in to see you’re adhering to all of them.
Infact why not go a step further? Share them with your friends and family. Then print them off and keep them somewhere on display so you can refer to them regularly, keeping you on track to ensure a healthy and happy life for your pet.
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6 . Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary feels and third party liability.
#NationalPetMonth takes place from April 1-May 7, 2018 and you can join in the pet talk on social channels during NPM and beyond at www.fb.com/NationalPetMonth, www.fb.com/JoinScratchingPost (cat fans) and www.fb.com/JoinParkBench (dog fans) or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/NatPetMonthUK
You can also register as a National Pet Month supporter for free at https://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/_members/ Go on, it only takes a minute!