@OmaniDog and owner Jayne McGill from Cardiff have won a fabulous holiday to the Isle of Wight in National Pet Month’s #DogHols competition on Twitter.
The search to find the nation’s best doggy holiday story via the social networking site was launched during National Pet Month – April 7 to May 7 this year.
National Pet Month teamed up with cross-Solent operator Wightlink to offer a four night mid-week break at Nitons Barns on the Isle of Wight in a two-bedroom barn for up to four people and their canine companions.
Pet lovers across the UK shared a variety of holiday dog tales within the Twitter 140 character limit, making it tough for judges to choose the winner.
After much debate @OmaniDog was chosen for this amusing tweet, complete with pic: “I loved my #DogHols at Lyme Regis. Bow wow to the cottage, the beach & pubs – nowhere was off-limits!”
When National Pet Month broke the good news via Twitter, @OmaniDog, with a wag of the tail tweeted: “Woof woof woof! What great news on a Monday morning. Thank you so much!!!! I’m such a lucky dog :-)”
@esc4p33, @Betht1979, @TheAnimalNews and @jordenc all won runners-up prizes of return ferry tickets to the Isle of Wight for a car, four passengers and their canines.
The competition also tied in with the launch of Wightlink’s new dog-centric free Island guide, Pawprint, written by Isle of Wight dogs and their humans.
National Pet Month is a registered charity and encourages pet owners across the UK to come together and celebrate life with their pets.
As well as promoting responsible pet ownership, National Pet Month also highlights the mutual benefits of living with pets, the role of pet care specialists and the value of working and assistance companion animals.
“Our #DogHols Twitter competition was a great success, attracting some fantastic entries from across the UK. Congratulations to @OmaniDog and our runners-up plus a big thank you to all those who took the time to send us their stories. We very much enjoyed reading them,” says Phil Sketchley, National Pet Month Chairman.
National Pet Month takes place from 1 April to 6 May, 2013.
National Pet Month’s Top 10 tips for responsible pet ownership
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6. Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability.
Wightlink web address:
Niton Barns web address: